|author||Linus Torvalds <email@example.com>||2018-06-11 08:22:34 -0700|
|committer||Linus Torvalds <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2018-06-11 08:22:34 -0700|
|parent||Merge tag 'backlight-next-4.18' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lee/backlight (diff)|
autofs: remove left-over autofs4 stubs
There's no need to retain the fs/autofs4 directory for backward compatibility. Adding an AUTOFS4_FS fragment to the autofs Kconfig and a module alias for autofs4 is sufficient for almost all cases. Not keeping fs/autofs4 remnants will prevent "insmod <path>/autofs4/autofs4.ko" from working but this shouldn't be used in automation scripts rather than modprobe(8). There were some comments about things to look out for with the module rename in the fs/autofs4/Kconfig that is removed by this patch, see the commit patch if you are interested. One potential problem with this change is that when the fs/autofs/Kconfig fragment for AUTOFS4_FS is removed any AUTOFS4_FS entries will be removed from the kernel config, resulting in no autofs file system being built if there is no AUTOFS_FS entry also. This would have also happened if the fs/autofs4 remnants had remained and is most likely to be a problem with automated builds. Please check your build configurations before the removal which will occur after the next couple of kernel releases. Acked-by: Ian Kent <email@example.com> [ With edits and commit message from Ian Kent ] Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Diffstat (limited to 'fs/autofs4/Kconfig')
1 files changed, 0 insertions, 46 deletions
diff --git a/fs/autofs4/Kconfig b/fs/autofs4/Kconfig
deleted file mode 100644
@@ -1,46 +0,0 @@
- tristate "Kernel automounter version 4 support (also supports v3 and v5)"
- default n
- depends on AUTOFS_FS = n
- The automounter is a tool to automatically mount remote file systems
- on demand. This implementation is partially kernel-based to reduce
- overhead in the already-mounted case; this is unlike the BSD
- automounter (amd), which is a pure user space daemon.
- To use the automounter you need the user-space tools from
- <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/autofs/>; you also want
- to answer Y to "NFS file system support", below.
- This module is in the process of being renamed from autofs4 to
- autofs. Since autofs is now the only module that provides the
- autofs file system the module is not version 4 specific.
- The autofs4 module is now built from the source located in
- fs/autofs. The autofs4 directory and its configuration entry
- will be removed two kernel versions from the inclusion of this
- Changes that will need to be made should be limited to:
- - source include statments should be changed from autofs_fs4.h to
- autofs_fs.h since these two header files have been merged.
- - user space scripts that manually load autofs4.ko should be
- changed to load autofs.ko. But since the module directory name
- and the module name are the same as the file system name there
- is no need to manually load module.
- - any "alias autofs autofs4" will need to be removed.
- - due to the autofs4 module directory name not being the same as
- its file system name autoloading didn't work properly. Because
- of this kernel configurations would often build the module into
- the kernel. This may have resulted in selinux policies that will
- prevent the autofs module from autoloading and will need to be
- Please configure AUTOFS_FS instead of AUTOFS4_FS from now on.
- NOTE: Since the modules autofs and autofs4 use the same file system
- type name of "autofs" only one can be built. The "depends"
- above will result in AUTOFS4_FS not appearing in .config for
- any setting of AUTOFS_FS other than n and AUTOFS4_FS will
- appear under the AUTOFS_FS entry otherwise which is intended
- to draw attention to the module rename change.