blob: 3a9468ea9f4077ef387ee6d82a57de7882a446cd (plain
Installation Makefile Target
# make install
This command takes into account several environment variables:
* PREFIX default: /usr
* DESTDIR default:
* BINDIR default: $(PREFIX)/bin
* LIBDIR default: $(PREFIX)/lib
* MANDIR default: $(PREFIX)/share/man
* BASHCOMPDIR default: $(PREFIX)/share/bash-completion/completions
* RUNSTATEDIR default: /var/run
* PKG_CONFIG default: pkg-config
* WITH_BASHCOMPLETION default: [auto-detect]
The first section is rather standard. The second section is not:
* WITH_BASHCOMPLETION decides whether or not bash completion files for the
tools are installed. This is just a nice thing for people who have bash.
If you don't have bash, or don't want this, set the environment variable
to `no'. If you'd like to force its use, even if bash-completion isn't
detected in DESTDIR, then set it to `yes'.
If you're a simple `make && make install` kind of user, you can get away with
not setting these variables and relying on the auto-detection. However, if
you're writing a package for a distro, you'll want to explicitly set these,
depending on what you want.