2 files changed, 7 insertions, 6 deletions
diff --git a/include/linux/vmstat.h b/include/linux/vmstat.h
index c89df55f6e03..532360010919 100644
@@ -10,8 +10,9 @@
* Light weight per cpu counter implementation.
- * Counters should only be incremented and no critical kernel component
- * should rely on the counter values.
+ * Counters should only be incremented. You need to set EMBEDDED
+ * to disable VM_EVENT_COUNTERS. Things like procps (vmstat,
+ * top, etc) use /proc/vmstat and depend on these counters.
* Counters are handled completely inline. On many platforms the code
* generated will simply be the increment of a global address.
diff --git a/init/Kconfig b/init/Kconfig
index f000edb3bb7a..9b1adb176ea8 100644
@@ -461,10 +461,10 @@ config VM_EVENT_COUNTERS
bool "Enable VM event counters for /proc/vmstat" if EMBEDDED
- VM event counters are only needed to for event counts to be
- shown. They have no function for the kernel itself. This
- option allows the disabling of the VM event counters.
- /proc/vmstat will only show page counts.
+ VM event counters are needed for event counts to be shown.
+ This option allows the disabling of the VM event counters
+ on EMBEDDED systems. /proc/vmstat will only show page counts
+ if VM event counters are disabled.
endmenu # General setup